Friday, April 4, 2008

Bloodhound

Last Tuesday, around bedtime, I decided to give Bailey a pedicure (well, trim his nails). Anyway, I cut one of his dew claws too closely and it was bleeding. There was blood everywhere! It took me until after 11:00 to get it to stop bleeding – that’s when I eventually got him to lay still and stop licking it.

The next morning, I got up and went to feed Bailey breakfast… and it started bleeding again when he got up and moved around! I did not have time for this – I had a meeting at school and it was my turn to bring breakfast for everyone (so I couldn’t skip it). Fortunately, I visited a new “doggy day care” place that is on the way to my school about two weeks ago in case there was ever a day where Travis or I couldn’t get home at a decent time to let him out.

I was so happy when I got there (
Pooch on the Hooch) and they took him. I couldn’t leave him home alone when he was bleeding - not only because I would feel guilty, but also because he would bleed on everything. They said I didn’t even cut his nail that close, so they were amazed that it was still bleeding. They told me that if it continued to bleed, that they have “cement/glue” stuff that they can put on it (since they do grooming there). Anyway, when I left him, they were giving him tons of attention and talking about how much he’d get to play… and to think I was worried about him bleeding all day!

When I picked him up and brought him home Wednesday afternoon, he was exhausted (which I’m assuming means he had a wonderful time). He barely moved all night. I have now decided to take him on Wednesdays for the rest of the school year (which is only 6 weeks). I tutor a student on Wednesdays anyway and I always get home late. Hopefully, this will help with the “boringness” of the week and will let Bailey get some exercise and socialization. This would benefit me too, since they said that they will help me train him to not hump other dogs or get too aggressive with toys – which he does at the dog park (and it’s hard to train him there with everyone giving you dirty looks).

The problem is: I didn’t feel too guilty about paying for daycare when there was a good reason… he was bleeding. However, I can’t believe that I am paying for doggy daycare now just to make him (and me) happy. Oh well… I guess I’m a just another sucker!

1 comments:

Staci said...

I'm glad your dog's ok! Have fun this week :)