Thursday, April 24, 2008

Spring Cleaning

Not much was going on this week… and my paperwork at school is finished, so I looked for another project. Unfortunately for Travis, he decided to read outside one afternoon, which made me get motivated to clean up the screened in patio - it was a mess!

On Monday, I moved all the furniture outside to hose it off (it had pollen all over it) and I vacuumed the floor (and the spider webs off of the walls) while the furniture was drying and the patio was empty. While I was doing this, Travis noticed that the screens were messed up and he fixed them… probably because it was too difficult anyway to read while I was vacuuming around him.

We then moved the furniture back inside and rearranged it until we were happy with it. Here’s how it ended up:



We also made some more space by moving extra chairs that we never used to other places around the backyard. The two in the back of the yard (left picture) used to be in the patio behind the table and the three in the corner (right picture) used to be stacked beside the hot tub.



We also put a ladder (that we had outside anyway) beside the hot tub as a somewhat decorative shelving unit. I thought that it would be neat if we could eventually add wooden boards across the steps to the opposite rails for extra space, but it is working for now even without them.

If you noticed the box under the ladder – Travis made it last weekend to hold the supplies for the hot tub. I was impressed that he used extra wood that we had lying around in the garage and that all he had to buy was some hinges for the back to hold the lid on. I probably would have gone out and bought a box…

Unfortunately, the wood was a variety of shades and parts of it were painted different colors, so I decided to paint it all one color on Wednesday. However, I felt the need to use paint that we already had, or "decorating it" would have cost more than the box itself. After searching, I eventually found some reddish paint in the garage and used it. It doesn’t match the ladder as well as I would like, but Travis was okay with it, so I guess it works for now.

I wonder what my next project will be… maybe I’ll finally get around to cleaning out my closets!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish you were here to do our projects! You're so ambitious. The sun finally came out here and we did get some work done, but now we're mostly sitting in the chairs soaking in the sun....... not very productive.

Claudia