I went to Savannah on Wednesday and Thursday this week to help chaperone a field trip that the 8th grade students were going on at my middle school. The trip entailed about 440 students, 30 chaperones, 10 charter buses, and over 125 hotel rooms (it was an overnight trip).
We took the students to see Fort Jackson, the Ralph Mark Gilbert Civil Rights Museum, and the First African Baptist Church. We also went on a walking tour of historic downtown Savannah, ate breakfast on the Savannah River Queen, had a “dinner and dance” at the Roundhouse Railroad Museum, and learned about beach ecology and oceanography on Tybee Island.
Unfortunately, I feel like I shouldn’t post the pictures I took from these activities because they have students in them (and I have some really silly pictures of the kids). However, I do have one picture of the girls from my bus (with all of them looking away) learning about the beach from their guide: While on the beach, we were also able to fit about 20 minutes of time to hang out on the beach into our schedule. It was warm and sunny – the kids loved it (and the chaperones also enjoyed a few minutes to relax… well, after we stressed to the students that they were not allowed to go in the water). Here is a picture of me with some of the other teachers on the trip:
It was a lot of fun, but exhausting!
Also, I know that this shouldn’t be the highlight of the trip, but the fountains were already dyed green for St. Patrick’s day… so that was fun to see.
Saturday, March 15, 2008
Savannah or Bust
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You are brave, girl! Glad you had fun!!
That looks like alot of fun! Green fountains? I didn't know they did that. And it was nice and warm there - that must have been great! Claudia
Post a Comment