Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Sims...

I am embarrassed to admit that I got Sims 2 (a “life simulation” game) for the Playstation a few days ago.

It took me a while to figure it out, but I created a character for Travis and me. Since I was only given a few choices, I set my Sim’s “aspiration” for romance and Travis’ for knowledge (the other options were creativity, wealth, and popularity). I then built a house for us to live in and all of our new “neighbors” keep stopping by to visit… the problem is that they’re all women! I am now worried that all of the “other women” are going to make my Sim unhappy. Maybe I should have picked popularity instead of romance as my aspiration, since so many people want to hang out with us.

Another problem is that I didn’t set our neatness level high enough when I got to choose our characteristics. Now the Sims spend most of their days setting dirty plates, newspapers, books, and more on the floor. This is frustrating for me! Since I can only control one of them at a time, the other one is usually making a mess that I will eventually have to clean up. This must be how parents of multiple kids feel… I’m grateful that I didn’t create more than two characters.

Other than the messiness, the game is a fairly realistic, so Travis (the real one) laughs at me whenever I play it. In the game, Travis gets moody when he is hungry and I get distressed when my entertainment level is low (which means, I am bored). I even got a “sad bubble” over my head that showed a picture of a TV, so I had to buy one to appease my Sim. Travis even ignores me in the game in order to read a book, which makes sense because I picked knowledge as his aspiration, but this is way too much like our real lives! He was actually sitting behind me reading a magazine when this happened on the game…

So, here’s my problem: you have to keep your Sim happy for it to stay alive. Travis’ Sim is perfectly content to hang out and read, but my Sim needs romance to be happy. I now need to figure out if I can flirt with a different Sim, or if I have to pursue “Travis” to make my Sim happy (since I set us up together as a family). So here’s my big question, does it count as cheating if it’s done in a video game? Let me stress that I have no desire to do this in real life (and he does put down his books to spend time with me), but my Sim may die if she doesn’t feel loved…

2 comments:

Mel said...

I am old school...

maybe next year I will join the game playing group...you may have to remind me...my mind is...

Oh forget it, let the sim have some fun!!! Explore the neighborhood!!! Maybe the two can start a trend in the neighborhood...might help the book worm!

What do I know have fun!

Staci said...

This is hilarious Josie! Don't worry...I won't think less of you if you "cheat" on Travis :)