Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentines – Part II

I love technology – I am stuck in the car right now, yet I have plenty to entertain me. First off, there is always my Nintendo DS or I can get on the Internet on my phone if I get bored. Secondly, Travis has a Bluetooth device that lets you listen to music that you have stored on your phone in the car. It’s so much easier than remembering (and charging ahead of time) an MP3 player. His music started to repeat, so I am now in charge of the music selection.

Wondering about the first sentence of the blog where I said that I was in the car? Yes, I am now sitting in the car typing up a blog on my netbook (an
Acer Aspire One). It’s basically a smaller version of a regular computer that I got for Christmas (thank you Santa!). I can even load my pictures easily because Travis took them on his camera and the memory card from his camera fits into the SD slot on my computer. Here are some pictures we took on our drive through the mountains today:





My computer is great for traveling… speaking of traveling, Travis and I are now on our way back home from snowboarding at Sapphire Valley. Yes, snowboarding – and nothing is broken – I can still type with both hands and walk around without crutches.

We went on Valentine’s night from 5:00 to 9:00 (it was a better deal than going all day and we figured we would be tired after four hours anyway). We were right; practicing on the bunny hill was exhausting! It took a lot of work to get back up to the top each time for 20 seconds of attempting to ride down. I’m just glad that I am good at falling without hurting myself because I fell a lot! It wasn’t too bad though, it seemed like a mix of skiing, wake boarding, and skate boarding – all of which I have tried before.


I don’t know what was scarier, the first time I went down the bunny hill (not knowing what to expect once I started moving) or going down the big hill later that night. I guess it was the big hill because I was so nervous that I felt like I was going to puke as we were going up the lift. Travis said that is how he feels before giving presentations… I’m glad that doesn’t happen to me because it would be really hard to be a teacher.

Anyway, the big hill seemed easier than the bunny hill. I don’t know if it was because I was too scared to not do well (there is only so much you can mess up on a bunny hill, but I could have really hurt myself on a big hill) or if it was because I finally had a chance to take a break and recover from walking up the bunny hill. It was probably just that the snow was softer and that made it easier to control your speed and turns. Travis seemed really surprised once I got on the big hill – he looked at me and asked “Where did this come from?” He was good at turning and slowing himself down on the bunny hill, but I wasn’t very skilled at that until the big hill.


So there’s my new adventure – and I survived. I’m a little sore (and jealous of Travis for not being too sore – he picked up on it after about an hour when it took me about two hours, so he fell a lot less than me), but it was fun and I learned how to do something new.

Now if I could only post the blog… maybe Travis will drive past somewhere with free wireless, or I guess I could transfer this to my phone and do it from there – I do have Internet as part of my phone package. Nah, too much work, I’ll just post it later on tonight.

0 comments: