Friday, February 26, 2010

Let's see who I married...

For fun the other day, I looked up the meaning of Travis' name...


Travis is French in origin and is derived from a Norman French occupational name (from traverser to cross) for someone who collected a toll from users of a bridge or a particular stretch of road.

So, Travis = toll collector.

Hurt is a variant of Hart. In German, it is a topographic name from Middle High German hurt ‘hurdle’, ‘woven fence’.

However, Travis feels that he should follow the Dutch version (based on his ancestry). The Dutch version is: nickname, presumably for a pugnacious or aggressive person, from Middle Dutch hort, hurt ‘strike’, ‘blow’, ‘attack’

So, Hurt = pugnacious or aggressive person.

Therefore, TRAVIS HURT = TROLL.


Unfortunately, troll is what I came up with. Trolls are aggressive and they guard bridges where they demand tolls.

What's odd is that Travis works as a traffic engineer on traffic lights. He truly is controlling when people are allowed to move across roadways.

1 comments:

Staci said...

Ha!! This is funny stuff Josie! And what about your name?!?!