Monday, May 25, 2009

Personality Tests

Travis and I took personality tests before meeting with Jeff Groves, the officiant for our wedding.




Apparently, Hippocrates classified four basic temperaments, they are: sanguine, choleric, melancholy and phlegmatic. Everyone is a blend of the various temperaments, but here is what is said about Travis and I…

Travis is mainly phlegmatic. Here is his description:

The phlegmatic person is the peace-loving, conflict-avoiding observer. Other traits might include: easygoing, relaxed, calm, patient, sympathetic, kind, compassionate, competent, steady, agreeable, not easily upset, quiet, observant and inoffensive. Phlegmatic dislike change. They tend to keep their emotions to themselves and are good under pressure. They are easy to get along with, and because they take time to talk and listen, they usually have many friends.If you are phlegmatic, you need to know laid-back attitude is often a source of irritation to others. You’re got to learn to pull your fair share. Be observant about what to be done and don’t put off doing it. Solve problem when they arise. Learn to talk through difficult situations rather than retreat from them. Share negative feelings instead of bottling them up. Show motivation and enthusiasm. Don’t be afraid to try new things. Laugh, smile and express positive emotion on regular basis.


I am mainly melancholy. Here is my description:

Are you a deep thinker? Do you have a perfectionist bent? Are you deeply sensitive? Then you’re probably a melancholy. Here’s the textbook description of a melancholy; analytical, conscientious, idealistic, artistic, enjoy details and beautiful things. Melancholies are economical and self-sacrificing. Because they take things seriously, they are easily depressed, pessimistic, and suspicious of others and often moved to tears. They avoid attracting attention and are content to stay in the background. Melancholy people may be cautious when making friends, but they are devoted once they’re in relationship. They make good listeners and great helpers.My advice to the melancholies: Learn to enjoy every day. Try to be more spontaneous and do things that are pleasurable. Take the time to cultivate and enjoy more friendships.Because melancholies have a tendency towards negative thinking, they must work on thinking positively. They need to work on counting their blessings and expressing thanks, while resisting the temptation to gossip and spread bad news. And because melancholies are usually perfectionists, they must make a concerted effort to accept themselves and others unconditionally.


Here is the synopsis of how our personalities mesh…


The melancholy and the phlegmatic: While melancholies and phlegmatic both have more introverted personalities, there are some basic differences. First of all, their attitudes may conflict. The phlegmatic is usually more positive, and the melancholy tends to be pessimist. Another conflict might arise in regards to how things are done. The melancholy is extremely conscientious, paying attention to details and making sure things are done right. The phlegmatic couldn’t care less. Can you see the melancholy partner following around the phlegmatic, picking up after him and retouching projects that the phlegmatic considered done? I can almost hear the melancholy complain, “can’t you ever do anything right?” and if you listen carefully, you could hear the phlegmatic lament, “Why can’t you just accept me the way I am?”


We also discussed our "Love Languages" - which I found interesting because I hear about personality tests all the time, but I had never really heard of this. Basically, it classifies how you like to show love and receive it. The five types are: Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Receiving Gifts, Acts of Service, and Physical Touch.


We realized that I prefer Acts of Service and Travis prefers Physical Touch. Good to know...

1 comments:

Claudia said...

I thought the test results sounded quite accurate. And I learned that not only is Travis phlegmatic, but it sure fits his Dad also! Very interesting.....